PATELLOFEMORAL SYNDROME and TREATMENT Oakville
A common condition the we treat in our physiotherapy clinic in Oakville is PATELLOFEMORAL SYNDROME.
Our physio team in Oakville will give you an overview of the condition, causes, symptoms and treatment.
Learn more about Patellofemoral Syndrome and Treatment Here
OVERVIEW of Patellofemoral Syndrome
Patellofemoral Syndrome is basically pain at the front of the knee and around the knee cap (patella)
Sometimes it is called runners knee and can be common in people who are active in running and jumping activities, laborers, teenagers, athletes and in my experience more common in females.
The pain is caused by a wearing down, roughening or softening of the cartilage under the knee cap
The knee pain increases with an increase in activities, running, walking up or down stairs, or squatting.
SYMPTOMS of Patellofemoral Syndrome
Patellofemoral pain can cause anything from a dull ache type pain to sharp intense pain felt in and around the kneecap. It sometimes gets described as, that the pain feels like it is behind the knee cap.
A common sign in our Oakville Physiotherapy Clinic that accompanies this condition is crepitus, which is a grinding and cracking sensation felt and heard as one bends and straightens the knee.
Symptoms are aggravated with running, walking, biking, going up or down stairs, getting in or out of a chair or squatting.
Causes of Patellofemoral Pain Syndrome
The causes of Patellofemoral Syndrome are not always clear but has been associated with the following
- Running, jumping sports put repetitive stress on the knee joint which can cause irritation under the knee cap. Learn how Oakville Acupuncture can help.
- Muscle imbalances or weakness. Patellofemoral pain can occur when the muscles around the hip and knee don’t keep your knee cap properly aligned. Or when certain structures are tight.
- Trauma to the kneecap or knee joint can predispose someone to Patellofemoral pain.
- Certain knee surgeries may increase risk to Patellofemoral pain.
- Foot problems. Overpronation or supination can be a cause of Patellofemoral pain.
TREATMENT for Patellofemoral Syndrome in Oakville
Our Oakville Physiotherapists treatment may include any or all of the following:
- Rehabilitative exercise
- Supportive braces
- Ice or heat
- Modalities such as interferential stimulation, ultrasound, laser or acupuncture
- Knee friendly sports
- Acupuncture Oakville
- Shockwave Therapy
- Soft tissue mobilization
More Treatment for Patellofemoral Syndrome can be found here.
Patellofemoral Pain onset is usually a gradual process over a period of time and often not diagnosed at an early enough time frame to prevent the permanent damage to the knee cap.
It remains one of the more difficult conditions as a therapist to treat and get quick and lasting results. However it is treatable and usually requires consistency of treatment and patience on the client and therapists part.
If you experience pain in the front of your knees try to get an early diagnosis from a healthcare professional and start early intervention treatment to prevent permanent issues with your knees.
Call us today to book an appointment 905 827 3593